Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fall harvest time

My favourite time of year, autumn. The gorgeous colours of the leaves, the cool crisp nights just perfect for sleeping and best of all the bounty from the garden. I have a huge supply of onions and leeks, the zuchinni are almost done, plus the volunteer squash are just about ready to be harvested.

My dear husband brought home a huge box of beets last night. One of our favourite local farmers we get our eggs from gave them to us. I know what I am doing this weekend, making sweet beet pickles! We still have not gotten our tomatoes and peppers. It seems that I am not the only one to have had a very poor crop of tomatoes due to late blight. Hopefully while I am busy cooking, peeling, slicing and canning beets he will be out searching for enough tomatoes to put in the freezer for winter. We need about 2 bushels. It may take a few stops at local farms to find enough. Mind you, we prefer the roma tomatoes as they are nice and meaty.

I also have to make some zuchinni relish and see if there is any raspberries left for me from the birds and wasps.

No comments:

Post a Comment