Monday, August 10, 2009

A very strange summer

This summer is one of the strangest I have seen since moving here 5 years ago. It seems like it is raining almost every other day, and the humidity is unreal. Last night there was a wicked thunderstorm, and it was not a short one either. The light show lasted for at least 3 hours, and when the lightening strikes started coming closer we knew we were in for a bad one.

The road lights actually went out a few times, but it never did in the house. It was enough to trip the breaker for the air conditioner but not the computers or the clocks. Now that is unusual in itself. We were awake for the entire storm, and finally went to sleep sometime after midnight.

With the jet stream all over the place, and snapping southward rather than northward (where it should be this time of year) it is playing havoc with our weather and our bodies themselves. At least now I know one reason why I have, in the past 3 years, been battling severe headaches that can last up to 3 or 4 days at a time. But recently, over the last 2 months, it has progressed into having scintillating auras. Apparently, this means that I have been having migraines.

Most often migraines have the auras, and severe headpain with sensitivity to light and sound. This can also include nausea. For me, I have 3 different symptoms. First, I am nauseaus for about 2-3 days. Second, I either have the headache with photophobia (sensitivity to light) and hyperacusis or phonophobia (sensitivity to sound), or the scintillating aura. Usually after 3-4 days of the second symptom, the third one will appear. So far I have had that aura about 4 times and it takes at least 30 - 60 minutes for it to go away. I also have the "blind spots" that can last up to 3 hours afterwards.

This last time though, I was at work when the aura appeared. In fact, I knew it was going to happen because it seemed as though my vision/eyes were all jumpy. So, as soon as the aura appeared, I went to one of the doctors I work for and asked him if there was something I could try. I was given 3 different medications to try (only one at a time though!) and I chose to try the Maxalt. I did not notice anything immediately, but it has been a week now since that aura and the 3rd symptom has not appeared. I did have some tension in my neck and at the base of my skull, but no pain!

For those of you who are interested in reading more about migraines, check out wikipedia. I have found that to be a good sourse of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment